Sylvia Tennant: Bali Magic, Eyelash Extensions, The Power of Gemstones, Manifestations and Gratitude, and Zaleska's New Line - 026
Sylvia is the designer and CEO behind the Jewelry Line, Zaleksa. The vision behind the line was to create pieces that weren't just meant for looks, but also to enhance the wearer's state of well-being. She does this by incorporating gemstones with metaphysical properties that are both beautiful and powerful. Keep your eyes peeled for LOTS to come from this boss ninja.
On this episode, I talk with Sylvia Tennant deep in the heart of Bali. Our conversation is easy, fun, and at the same time in-depth and inspiring. The wine is flowing, the rain is pouring down, and it was a LOT of fun!
We get into a lot of juicy stuff like eyelash extensions and learning to appreciate the bumps in the road. This is a wide-ranging conversation with a woman that I met in the most synchronistic of ways. There's a LOT of gems (see what I did there), in this episode, so be sure to tune in all the way to the end!
WE TALK ABOUT
- The series of events that led to Sylvia and I meeting.
- The trials and tribulations of eyelash extensions.
- What a lash lift is.
- Syliva's buying trip to Bali and the new line.
- Where the idea for her jewelry line came from.
- Why she came to Bali in the first place.
- Why this trip and this iteration of the line is the "real deal".
- The idea of time and how long it takes for something to come to fruition.
- Where the name Zaleska came from.
- The metaphysical aspect of each piece.
- Spencer and Heidi Pratt and their crystal escapades.
- How Zaleska started and how Sylvia got introduced to the crystals and gemstones.
- Her friend Danielle's guidance and part in the creation of Zaleska.
- Why Sylvia puts certain stones together.
- Katie's experience using and picking out crystals and stones during hard times.
- Sylvia's experience being bullied as a child and what that has taught her.
- How it's important to Sylvia to not pressure people to buy.
- The importance of releasing expectation.
- How and why Sylvia has "always treated Zaleska as an experiment".
- The feeling Sylvia had around being beat down by the system and her desire to follow her dream.
- How she dove into the business with no plan and how surreal it is to be where she is now.
- The feeling of being ready and the powerful momentum she's picked up.
- Her partner Rod and the role he is playing in the business.
- What Rod brings to the table when it comes to business, rapping, and defusing bombs.
- Turning 30 and the feeling of entering a new cycle.
- The mentality Sylvia adopted from Beyonce and the peace it's brought her.
- 30th birthday plans for both Sylvia and I.
- The questions/slap in the face that arises with turning 30.
- Night cream.
- Katie's (questionable) fact about her pale skin aging faster.
- Sylvia's skin regimen (aka the things she does morning and night).
- The struggles of dry Bali hair.
- How Sylvia was always entrepreneurial.
- The feeling/fear many entrepreneurial women have around having kids.
- How Sylvia wonderful parents raised them to have powerful and colorful experiences that helped shape her and make her stronger.
- Shout out to the entrepreneurial Moms!
- Abraham Hicks
- Manifestation: The importance of being open to receiving gifts in life.
- Sylvia's favorite quote - "Manifestation can only happen when you're grateful".
- Being appreciative of the bumps in the road.
- The final steps Sylvia is taking care of during her last week in Bali.
- The launch event - mimosas and samosas.
- Her decision to only have the new collection on the website.
- The importance and benefit of having a sounding board.
- The escapades of "The Bingtang Twins".
- Rapid Fire Questions:
- If you could be frozen at any age what would it be and why?
- If you could invite any 5 people (dead or alive) to a dinner party who would you invite?
- What book are you reading right now?
- What advice Sylvia would give her 20-year-old self.
- What is her Rebel Cause?
RESOURCES & MENTIONS
- Green Beauty Collective Episode with Jac and Amanda
- Willows Wax Bar
- Mindy the Lion Episode
- The Vancouver Gem Show
- Stone Haven Gems
- Vive Salon - Ubud
- The Star Child Tarot
- The Art of Allowing - Book by Esther Hicks
- Mara Hoffman - Designer
- Jungle Fish - hangout place in Ubud