Unexpected Entrepreneur Turned Sustainable Clothing Boss Lady with Kaya Dorey - 005
Kaya Dorey is the creator of Novel Supply Co. a sustainable clothing line of comfortable basics with a minimalist feel. As a life-long North Vancouverite she's no stranger to adventure in the great outdoors and has created this line to be perfect for just that. Her love and respect for this planet has led her on a rebellion against an industry that is incredibly wasteful and destructive. #badasseryatitsfinest
In this episode, I sit down, in person, with Kaya Dorey founder of the sustainable clothing line Novel Supply Co. and rebel for all things eco.
She’s like a badass eco ninja boss lady.
I live out in the woods so it’s always pretty great when someone comes here to record seeing as they have to bounce along a dirt road to get here and often feel like they might be getting kidnapped. Kaya and her lovely man Chris braved the bumpy road along with their adorable dog Sophie. So needless to say it was a full house!
After filming some shots for a video Kaya was submitting for yet another award, I poured us a glass of bubbly and proceeded to dig into how she went from never thinking she’d be an entrepreneur to running a successful sustainable clothing line business.
If you’re wondering if you should start something or think you might not be able to make a difference or may not be qualified, then this is definitely the episode for you. Be a fly on the wall of this awesome conversation!
- Why she started Novel Supply Co.
- How Kaya finds balance in her day to day life while running a business.
- What her vision was when she started and how it’s changed.
- Her biggest struggle she's had to overcome.
- Her advice when going into big meetings.
- Issues that she faces when it comes to her relationship and her business.
- What she does when she feels like she doesn’t want to keep going with her business.
- What a day in the life of Kaya looks like while she runs a business.
- What it felt like for her to pose nude for an artist and why she did it.
- Why it’s important to create a circle of support when you’re creating a business.
- The importance of a supportive spouse.
- How she faced negative opinions at the start of her business and what she does about it.
- Her wolf tattoo and what it means.
- The importance of taking a risk and embracing the probability of failure.
- Her advice for people just about to start a business.
- The importance of doing informational interviews as research.
- The tool she uses on a daily basis to keep her going.
- The importance of writing 1, 5, and 10-year goals.
- The advice she would give to her 20-year-old self.
- What her Rebel Cause is.