Starting a Business, Yoga, Body Image, Dark Nights, and Persistence with Alex Mazerolle - 003
ALEX MAZEROLLE (ALLY MAZ)
Alex is a yoga and meditation teacher and the founder of Girlvana Yoga, Ladyvana Retreats, and Distrikt Movement. She's an incredibly down to earth person and lives her life from the heart. She is currently in the process of writing her first book and was an absolute joy to talk with!
In this episode, I talk with Alex Mazerolle, a total rebel with a heart of gold on a mission to help girls and women through the power of yoga, meditation, and positive mentorship.
She shares with us her journey of going from a competitive dancer with dreams of back-up dancing for the best in the industry, to becoming a yoga and meditation teacher with multiple businesses and a book on the way.
We talk about everything from eating disorders and depression to marriage and children, to time management, and business strategy.
This is a MUST listen episode. I was taken back by how welcoming, non-judgemental, and down to earth Alex (or Ally) was and cannot wait to have her on again!
- Ally’s story of being a competitive dancer as a teen.
- Her experience going from Vancouver to LA to chase after her dream of being a backup dancer.
- Why she ended up having an eating disorder and how it affected her health.
- Identity and what happens when the one thing you identify with no longer excites you.
- How she found yoga and how it changed her perspective.
- Why being on a raw vegan diet negatively affected her health.
- About her “dark night" of the soul and how it was the spark that started Girlvana Yoga.
- How her Girlvana grew from humble beginnings to the thriving business with soul it is today.
- Just how negatively the perceived perfection on social media is impacting young girls today.
- How Ladyvana retreats came about and why women in the 30’s are still dealing with the same issues that teenage girls deal with.
- Ally’s thoughts on marriage and children and where she is with it right now.
- How she started and grew her businesses while still being able to pay the bills.
- Why the “do what you love” perspective is a very privileged one.
- How Distrikt went from an idea to w full blown thriving fitness location.
- How she manages her busy life while having multiple businesses on the go.
- What things look like now for her in her businesses and life.
- How she managed to land a book deal with Penguin Random House.
- How she’s approaching writing her book.
- Her advice to her 20-year-old self.
- What her rebel cause is.