Healing Lyme Disease, Creating a Movement, and Living Aligned with Elena Heegaard -011
Elena is the Director of Operations and Project You, and Founder of Leaves of Gratitude. She is an incredibly spirited, passionate, and giving human on a mission to become the fully expressed version of herself, and help others do the same in the process. She's a badass, a fellow redhead, and always speaks her mind. Enough said.
On this episode my chat with Elena Heegaard is nothing short of amazing. This badass and awe-inspiring woman has overcome more than her fair share by the age of 22. After a long and arduous journey with Lyme Disease, where she came out the other side victorious on many different levels, she has a lot to share and is happy to do it.
Elena speaks with wisdom that is far beyond her years and is not only hilarious, but deeply empathic, moving, and a force for good. This episode will make you laugh, cry, get mad, feel supported, and probably get the shivers at least once or twice.
- How Elena dyes her gorgeous red hair (this one's for you redheads).
- What Project You is.
- The importance of female energy and how women push it away.
- The rise of feminine energy and the balance of masculine energy.
- How Elena and Katie met.
- Leaves of gratitude - what it is and why Elena created it.
- The importance of children connecting to natures.
- Elena's origin story - how her passion for helping people started.
- How the injustice in her highschool sparked her passion for people reach their full potential.
- The importance of celebrating the wins.
- What "parking the car" means.
- How Elena went from studying Human rights law to entrepreneeurship and what spurred that change.
- How her empathy started to make her feel heavy, sick, and exhausted.
- Elena's experience with Lyme Disease - how to started her journey down the self-help and personal development path.
- How she got Lyme Disease and what happens if you get it.
- The symptoms of Lyme Disease that Elena personally experienced.
- How her disease led her to feeling deeply depressed.
- How she ended up with two types of Mono on top of her Lyme Disease.
- The importance of having health advocates.
- How she ended up reeking havoc on her gut by taking a month of antibiotics.
- What is was like for her to be "completely out" for 6 months.
- How her commitment to going to the gym helped her shift towards feeling better.
- Her decision to move to Vancouver helped her to see her situation more clearly.
- How her powerful decision to change her mental state was the key to moving forward.
- How Tim Ferris's book Tools of Titans helped her discover the Keto diet and ultimately healed her of her disease.
- How she did the Keto diet for just 2.5 weeks and remains symptom free to this day.
- What "keto flu" is.
- The importance of asking for support.
- How she had to re-learn to trust her body again and love herself through the process of feeling fearful.
- Where she is now in regards to her health and her feelings towards the disease and her past.
- How she stands firm in the belief that everything happens for a reason and it's an opportunity to "roll with it, and blossom from it".
- The importance of taking your personal power back and to stop being the victim of your life in little ways.
- The dangers of comparing yourself to others on social media.
- Elena's systems for self-care and self-love.
- How love is active not passive.
- How climbing the tough mountain is always worth it.
- The importance and power of creating structure in your day.
- Why you need to "check yourself" if you're working too hard to make others happy instead of caring for yourself.
- The importance of setting healthy boundaries and saying no.
- Elena's advice to her 20-year-old self.
- Elena's Rebel Cause.