Body Image, boundaries, upper limits, and growing through struggle with boudoir photographer Chelsey Luren - 015
Chelsey is a wizard Boudoir Photographer and founder of Chelsey Luren Portraits. After years of struggling with an eating disorder a transformational photoshoot changed everything for Chelsey. She has now made it her mission to help women heal their relationship with their bodies through boudoir photography.
In this episode, I talk with Chelsey Luren the founder of Chelsey Luren Portraits. We dive right into her story of how she went from having an eating disorder at the age of 8-years-old to now helping women reconnect with their bodies through her amazing photoshoots.
We talk everything in this episode. From upper limit problems, to morning routines, to where the best places to buy good lingerie are. Fair warning, you might find yourself stripping down and booking yourself an appointment to see Chelsey. In that order too.
- What Chelsey's day was like on the day of recording.
- What a day in the life of Chelsey looks like.
- The importance of a morning routine.
- What boudoir photography is.
- Chelsey's origin story starting with an eating disorder at 8 years old.
- How she got an eating disorder at such a young age.
- The opportunity of growth through pain and looking at the uncomfortable things.
- The importance of making a point of celebrating milestones.
- Chelsey's experience with her first boudoir shoot.
- Why she cried after seeing herself in the photos.
- How she got offered an internship which ultimately resulted in her starting her own business as a boudoir photographer.
- How being in alignment resulted in things being "simple, not easy".
- The importance of getting out of our own way and asking "what lights me up?"
- How her business was a side-hustle for a long time and what she did to support herself in the meantime.
- How she managed to launch a successful business without any business background.
- The importance of taking baby steps and appreciating where you are now.
- Why you need to just put it out there even if it's not perfect.
- The importance of being ok with rejection and criticism.
- The upper limit problem - what it is and what Chelsey is experiencing with it.
- How Chelsey busted through her mental blocks around money.
- How upper limits show up for Chelsey.
- What a boudoir photoshoot experience with Chelsey looks like.
- How the photographs allow the opportunity to connect to your body and transform the way you see yourself.
- The kind of transformation Chelsey witnesses while doing the shoots.
- The common complaints she hears most from women during the shoots and why she'll never correct them or "tell them they're crazy".
- Chelsey's list of top places to get good lingerie.
- The importance of getting measured for your bra size
- How Chelsey finds balance in work and home life.
- How boundaries have been a huge lesson to learn for Chelsey.
- Why she originally did not like boundaries and why.
- The benefits Chelsey has noticed from setting firm boundaries.
- The challenge and benefits of saying "no".
- Chelsey's favourite and helpful books.
- Chelsey's advice to her 20-year-old self.
- Chelsey's Rebel Cause.
RESOURCES & MENTIONS
- The Big Leap - Book by Gay Hendricks
- You Are a Badass at Making Money - Book by Jen Sincero
- You Are a Badass - Book by Jen Sincero
- Forever Yours - Boutique in Langley
- Honey Gifts
- Adore Me
- La Perla
- Heidi Klum Intimates
- The Desire Map - Book by Danielle LaPorte